Sunday, March 3, 2013

Week Three



End of Week Three

There were a couple of days where it seemed like a step forward and then a step backward. Still, I am staying optimistic as nothing is as bad as before the surgery.

Physiotherapy – III

On my second trip to physio, I am checked out for walking with a cane. Good, I get a pass and encouragement to do more. New exercises to do as well, and they all seem to flow nicely from how I am moving now. Need to keep the muscles around the incision massaged to stop them from cramping on me.

Upping the Movement

More, but not too much was the idea. Unfortunately for me, I need to really watch out for overdoing it. I have taken to timing myself so that I stay within a reasonable amount.
I exercise in the morning before getting up and again before going to bed at night. I have morning and afternoon sets of standing exercises and then I slip in a stretch every now and then as I am doing tasks around the house.

Counting my Steps

My pedometer is my friend. It lets me know, before I overdo it, how much I have moved my body and my new hip.
I have been edging up every day and am now at 3000 steps. That was the number I had fallen down to before the surgery. I figure that if I can do 500 extra each day, I will be doing well over the next month.

Gardening

The Garden has been screaming at me for months. The creeping buttercup in starting to overwhelm parts of it and there are many plants that need moving or at least repotting. My current activity is to go out and do no more than 15 minutes of gardening. So I am clearing very small patches but I know they will add up over time.

Getting Out and About

Every day, I plan a trip somewhere. Doesn’t matter where as long as it is a short trip with about a block length of walking. This has been working well and I can monitor it with my pedometer. With the weather being later winter rains, I need to step carefully so that I don't slip. As long as I take it slow, I am doing fine.

Tools of the Trade

Continue to use all the mobility tools at my disposal. The walker is my second floor companion now and makes sure I don’t fall over in the dark when I get up in the middle of the night.
I now spend a lot of thought on what movements I make and what tools I should use instead. It has made me hyper-aware of where my body is located in time and space.

Pain Management – IV

More Tylenol, less opioids. I have a new plan that I adjust daily so I can monitor my intake. I am showing small decreases in my need for painkillers and this is good news.
Still, I take them as needed because otherwise I would stop moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment