Saturday, February 16, 2013

Hip Replacement Surgery



Night Before Surgery

The house and myself were are ready as possible, so this was the last sleep before the operation.
The hospital that I was going into required a night before ritual of bath/shower, a dry off period, and then a wipe down with Sage wipes. Those things are cold! Take the package advice and gently warm them in your microwave for 30 second (or less depending on power) or lay them on a hot water radiator for 20 minutes before using them. Air Dry yourself and then to bed with clean sheets, and then a good, or at least reasonable, night’s sleep.

Hospital Admitting

The Day of the Operation dawns. Don’t forget to bring a folder for the papers you have and the papers that you will receive as you go through your hospital stay. A book is also useful for the inevitable “Go over there and wait.” times and then later when you are resting.
There was more taking of samples, another swabbing down, changing into your hospital gown and getting a dressing gown for the back (Thank You!, Hospital).
I am now deep in the hospital; in a hospital gown; the doctor has signed the hip that is being replaced; I have been asked about allergies many times; I have had a thorough briefing and testing on the 10 point pain scale (https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1063&bih=637&q=pain+scales&oq=pain+scales&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l9.9073.9073.0.9709.1.1.0.0.0.0.166.166.0j1.1.0...0.0...1ac.1.3.img.kkLAClQ5Vcc);then an interview by the Anesthesiologist; and the admitting nurse has started my IV. It is all pretty inevitable now.

Surgery

I get to walk into the Operating Room, where a team is ready, just for me. Just follow the direction: Sit here, Lean forward, wait for…
The next thing I remember is coming to, as the team moves me onto a hospital bed and I am rolled out into the recovery room. I know that only a couple of hours have passed and that the surgery is over now.

Recovery Room

My Recovery Room nurse is chatty, I suspect at least partially to see how awake I am. The big question is when is the chest down anesthetic wearing off? They use a bag of ice to see what you can feel. Sensation comes back steadily over the next hour or so. First the non-operative leg, then the side that was operated on. Once that is feeling the cool of the ice it is time to be sent to the ward.

Ward

This is home for the next few days. I was sharing a room with a woman who had her surgery two days before. This was her second hip replacement as she had the other one done three months previous. She was working hard to get out of there as soon as she could. In my dazed stupor, she seemed like a little dynamo and I thought, “I hope I can do as well.”
Meanwhile, I am feeling a bit of nausea and, fortunately, there is a drug for that.

Day One Post Op

Overnight is a balancing of nausea, pain management, and a need to sleep. This floor is a busy place with soft dings and gongs going off all night long. The bed pan is there for relief and now I am grateful for the extra strength in my arms so that I can pull myself up and be able to use it.
This is not the best day of my life. I feel like someone has removed my right leg and then reattached it after replacing the joint. Oh, right, they did! The leg is not a happy camper, but the various miracles of modern chemistry are working to keep me under six on the pain scale.

Hospital – Personnel

There was a never ending parade of people traipsing through.
The nurses (and the student nurses) were all very competent, well identified and had massively different personalities. They cycled every 12 hours, so it was a bit hard to get a handle on who you were trying to connect with. Primarily, they all spent a fair amount of their times taking my vital signs and getting me to take pills of various sorts and to drink water. “Drink more water!”
Other personnel were not as clearly identified. It was often hard to understand what they were supposed to be doing. So, I didn’t worry much about it.

Cruel to be Kind

One clearly identifiable group was the Physiotherapists. Physiotherapy is an instant-on process after this surgery. You are being watched to make sure you align your operative side correctly. Than they show you how to roll up into a sitting position on the side of the bed.
“Can you stand up?” (If you can do that you can walk!)
“Can you come down to the Physiotherapy Room?” If you can you can start your exercises. Yes, they will hurt but it is all worth it.
I was eager to get started and despite the pain of doing the exercises, I was never pushed past what was doable. Lovely people who were always paying attention to what you were doing with that body of yours.

Hospital – Food

Scary, Scary stuff, kids. There is nothing that arrived, other than one boiled egg, that I would consider wanting to eat before or after my stay here. The first day, I had no appetite for any food. The second day, no appetite for whatever it was that they were serving. It had names, but no particular flavour or interesting texture (library paste?). I completely balked at eating something described as “SS Meatballs”.
I did eat the boiled egg, some overcooked vegetables, a bland vegetable soup, and some instant oatmeal. Fortunately, hunger was not an issue and I will not be starving any time in the near future.

Clothing

You will be told that you should have ‘loose clothing’ to wear after surgery. They are NOT kidding! Get out your ‘Fat’ clothes and then figure that you will need something even looser. I borrowed sweat pants from my nephew and although they are a bit long, they have accommodated the extra 10+ pounds that the swelling has added to the leg that was operated on.
After the first week, the swelling starts to come down. I am now back into normal sweatpants and feel somewhat lighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment